WALLFAHRTSKIRCHE MARIA, KÖNIGIN DES FRIEDENS 1968
Maria, Königin des Friedens (Mary, Queen of Peace) is a pilgrimage church and parish in Neviges, part of Velbert, North Rhine-Westphalia, Germany. The pilgrimage dates back to 1676. Neviges was the home of a Franciscan monastery from 1675 until the end of 2019. A church dedicated to the Immaculate Conception in 1728 became too small for the growing numbers of pilgrims in the 20th century.
Inspired by the Second Vatican Council, Cardinal Josef Frings of Cologne was open to a radically new church building. Gottfried Böhm designed a building in brutalist style which won the cardinal's approval. It was consecrated in 1968, and also became known as the Mariendom and Wallfahrtsdom. It is the second largest church in the Diocese of Cologne, after Cologne Cathedral. The concrete structure with an irregular roof and an interior like a forum became the architect's signature building, and is regarded as one of the important "spatial creations" in 20th-century architecture.
The location might be approximate VIEW ON GOOGLE MAPS
YOU MAY ALSO LIKE